Deborah Meyer focuses her practice on civil claims involving medical malpractice, mental health law, municipal liability, and premises liability. She has significant litigation and trial experience in successfully defending private physicians, healthcare institutions, insurance companies, landlords, business owners and government agencies. She has defended the City of New York, New York City Police Department, Department of Corrections and New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation against claims of federal civil rights violations that included failure to provide medical treatment to prisoners and detainees. She also defended the City of New York in class actions regarding health care and treatment of women at Rikers Island.
Over the past several years, Ms. Meyer has prepared dozens of malpractice cases for trial. Her efforts have led to several defense verdicts. Ms. Meyer has drafted and argued numerous motions for summary judgment successfully leading to dismissals, as well as federal and state appeals.
Ms. Meyer worked Pro Bono for the Mental Hygiene Legal Service representing individuals with mental disabilities being held in state mental hospitals due to civil commitment proceedings.
Ms. Meyer is the former Chair of the Mental Health Law Committee for The Association of the Bar of the City of New York.
- Collado v. ___, 49 MISC.3D 464, 11 N.Y.S.3D 466, 2015 N.Y. SLIP OP. 25221 (1st DEPT 2015)
- Gallimore v. ___, 140 A.D.3D 626, 34 N.Y.S.3D 446, 2016 N.Y. SLIP OP. 05083 (1st DEPT 2016)
Honors and Awards
- Justice William Kapelman Memorial Award for Excellence in Oral Advocacy
- Winner, New York Law School Charles W. Froessel Moot Court Competition (argued before former United States Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia)
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York: Chair, Mental Health Law Committee
- New York State Bar Association
- Partner, Ekblom & Partners, LLP, New York, New York
- LeClairRyan, New York, New York
- Mental Hygiene Legal Service, New York, New York
- Wilson, Elser, Moskowitz, Edelman & Dicker, New York, New York
- New York Law Department - Office of the Corporation Counsel, New York, New York
- Law Office of Sam A. Schmidt, New York, New York
- General Liability Defense
- Medical Malpractice
- Municipal Law
- Mental Hygiene Law and Civil Commitment
- Professional Liability
- White Collar Crime
- Federal & State Criminal and Federal Appeals
- Federal & State Civil Rights Cases
- Premises Security Liability
- General Premises Liability
- New York Law School
- University of Wisconsin - Madison
B.A., History, Minor in International Relations (1992)
- Bar Admissions
- Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit